Friday, June 27, 2008

Allergy Shots

Allergy shots. I don't like shots. I don't like allergies. So, to combat the one, I accept the other in order to eliminate the one. Now, honestly, as shots go, allergy shots are nothing. For the most part, they don't normally hurt (more on that in a second) and only itch a little. Who knows, by the time this is all over, an estimated 3-5 years, I may even not be bothered at all by shots.

I get two shots per session, two sessions per week. So far, only two of the shots have hurt. The first one was one that I felt the needle going in and I tightened up a little. The second one was an unusual experience as it seemed that the serum was pooling at the injection site rather than dispersing into the surrounding tissue. When the shot was finished, it felt like there was a marble in there and it was pressing on a nerve! Just as I broke into a sweat and said 'whoa' it dissipated and went away! Then, I spent a minute explaining to the nurse why I didn't think that I needed the 'antidote'.

So, this morning, I go to the doctor's office to get my shot. I sign in and take a seat. There are about 20 other people the office, there for their shots as well. Then, it is my turn and I get my shots. The nurse put some anti-itch cream on my right arm, and it is the one that always gives me the worse reaction of the two. Then, I go and sit down for 30 minutes to see if I am going to have a reaction to the serum. Today I started a new concentration on my left arm.

There is a new guy there today who asked someone who was sitting next to him if they had ever had or seen someone who had 'a reaction' to their shots. About six people all spoke up at once, three had experienced reactions themselves and the others had seen other people having reactions, all of varying degrees. I suddenly felt more like it was worth while to sit there after that. I had been wondering if I wasn't just wasting 30 minutes of my day just sitting in that office. Of course, the doctor and the nurses had all lectured me on what possible reactions were, but you figure that they have the opportunity to see those over the course of many years in their profession. Having so many other witnesses made it more legitimate somehow that you do need to take precautions, because something just might happen.

This is the idea behind allergy shots. Inject your body with what you are allergic to and let your immune system build up its resistance to the allergens. Needless to say, it can cause some mild reactions and it is expected to. My right arm always has a bump, itches and is mildly feverish at the injection site. All of this is within normal operating parameters. It is still a nuisance though. Also, you can be a little sensitive to those chucks on the shoulder that guys like to give when girls would normally hug.

I am always tired at the end of a shot day. I figure it is just because of my immune system fighting against all of the allergens. Especially these days, with the high pollen counts that would normally have my allergies going crazy anyway.

Speaking of which, my doctor prescribed Nasonex. Our Father who art in heaven, thank you for your wondrous creation...Nasonex. If you don't think that is a sincere prayer, you have not suffered from allergies. Since it has taken effect, I have been able to breathe through my nose, every day! I don't honestly remember going through the whole month of June and being able to do that before, except in Guam, because they didn't have that much pollen. The wind blew it all off of the island.

I have sneezed a handful of times. I do get some congestion in the back of my sinuses. I do get the minor sniffles sometimes. However, I haven't been so stopped up that I couldn't breathe or talk clearly since I have been on it. I can only say, thank God that I live in the age that I do, where we can do something about all of this.

God bless you all.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

so glad you are feeling better... :)